Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Coke Taste Test

In article
Christopher Helms > wrote:

> On Nov 18, 11:51*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> > A lot of people claim that they can tell what kind of sugar is in a food
> > by taste, and a lot of people don't like HFCS, for various reasons. *So
> > I thought I'd do a blind taste test. *We had a case of Mexican sugar
> > Coke that my daughter had bought from Costco, because she prefers it,
> > and I bought a bottle of US HFCS Coke.

> Did you check the label on the US Coke carefully? Coke usually uses
> all corn syrup, but sometimes they will use up to 50% cane sugar if
> they can get it cheaply. Pepsi does or used to use 50/50 sugar and
> corn syrup all the time. I don't know if they still do or not.

I checked both labels with my most powerful glasses, they were identical
in everything I was interested in (calories and grams of sugar per
ounce) except for the second entry in the list of ingredients, which was
"sugar" for the Mexican Coke and "high fructose corn syrup" for the US
Coke. All the other ingredients were identical.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA