Reg

Default Some questions from a new cook....

2BaCook wrote:

> 1. Homemade dinner Rolls: I made some and the receipe said I could
> refrigerate a portion of the dough for up to 4 days. So I wrapped
> sections of the dough in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge; a
> couple days later I saw it swelled through the double layers of
> plastic wrap (like some sort of growth!) It was edible but weird to
> see in the fridge.

The cooler temp of a refridgerator will slow, but not stop, fermentation.
The speed of fermentation is proportional to the temperature, so it might
be that your fridge is running on the warm side. Check it with a good
thermometer.

I regularly retard bread dough for 4 or 5 days in the fridge with
minimal fermentation because I keep the temp very low. As long
as the dough doesn't overproof during refridgeration (including
warmup period after removing it) you'll get a good result.