Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default meat grinders

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:36:56 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 17:28:07 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:40:43 -0500, "Cheryl" >
>>wrote:

>>>I knew that all looked familiar. Good suggestion to the OP. lol

>I was just reading one of the newer Ruhlman posts, and he has a
>"store" now.. Well..not exactly, but there is a site where he
>recommends some equipment.
>http://ruhlman.theopenskyproject.com/
>
>One is a meat grinder.. I think he has used this particular model
>quite a bit, since he was one of the authors of Charcuterie... So it
>must be on the durable side.
>http://ruhlman.theopenskyproject.com...t-grinder.html
>

>Anyone know of this one? If so, what are your experiences with it.

Not really much info nor a decent picture... does it include a sausage
stuffing tube and multiple plates? Doesn't say whether there's a
Reverse function... this is important for clearing jams. The body
diameter looks a bit on the small side, this inhibits meat flow which
creates smearing...if the auger creates a faster rate of flow than the
tube can easily transport then the meat tends to back up creating
pressure which causes a smeared grind... has not a whit to do with
blade sharpness.... it's actually the sharpness of the plate hole
edges that's more important than the blade edge sharpness... the blade
*design* is more important that it has the proper agressive angle of
approach.

Based on that price for $30 more at Cabela's the Waring pro is twice
the machine. And I tend to buy equipment with a popular brand name,
much easier to find spare parts. Cabela's is a reliable outfit...
I've never heard of the outfit selling that grinder you posted.

I like my Moulinex grinder too (bought it in Canada, not easy to find
in the US), a little narrower body than the Waring Pro. But the
Waring Pro gives a far better quality grind.