Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default meat grinders

Mark Thorson wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> I like it because it takes the same plates as my old Chop-Rite, and it
>> has a large feed chute so I can cut the meat into quite large strips
>> and it will handle it. It will grind a whole beef brisket in just a
>> few minutes. I usually grind it twice; once with a large-hole plate
>> (then set aside some of the meat for making chili) then chill it and
>> grind it again with a small plate.

> Does anyone know to what extent these plates
> are compatible across other brands? After
> seeing Lidia make spaghetti by running pasta
> dough through her meat grinder without the blade,
> I've been thinking plates for other kinds of
> pasta might be marketable. On that particular
> program, she showed some guys back in Italy
> making bucatelli (?) -- a long hollow spaghetti
> using a hand-operated press. I've been thinking
> that would be a plate which might be popular.

The plates are standard sizes, #5, 8, 12 (10), 22, 32, and they might
go higher to 42 and 52. (There's a #2 grinder, but it doesn't use
traditional knives and plates.) The knives are /supposed/ to be
standardized, but my new grinder will not take a #12 knife unless I
enlarge the center square hole quite a bit. Fortunately the grinder
came with good knife.

Bob