Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Sourdough Pancakes

On Nov 9, 8:26 am, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
wrote:

> Where did you grow up? A dear friend of mine grew up on Adak. She
> said she didn't know that there were non-sourdough baked goods until
> they moved. Her mother fed a family of 12 and sourdough was cheap and
> simple.

A long way from Adak, down in Southeast AK, but the use of sourdough
was prevalent everywhere in Alaska in those days. With only a few
large population centers most places were so rural and isolated that
you either made your own bread or went without. Where I lived there
was a bakery and my mom didn't know how to use sourdough but many of
our friends and neighbors did. I've tried a couple of times but for
us it just doesn't reward the effort because there's no shortage of
breadstuffs in the big city. When I was using the ABM I used the
Krusteaz ready-mixed sourdough bread mix and it was a decent
substitute for the real thing. -aem