Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. is offline

Default Best bit of action you've seen in a resto

Kalmia wrote:
> After the resto - bashing, I feel guilty. Maybe it's time to laud
> something unusual you have witnessed, some bit of beyond the call
> service.
>
> Mine: ordered an after dinner White Cloud, and about a minute after it
> was served, I noticed a chip in the glass. Summoned waiter and began
> to point it out, and with an unhesitating flourish and not a word of
> argument, he whipped that thing off the table and tossed the liquid
> into a tiny, nearby sink, dropped the offending glass into the trash,
> and rushed to the bar for a new White Cloud. He removed all doubt that
> the same drink would be unceremoniously tossed into a new glass.

I was at a table near the front door & large plate glass windows of a
local Italian restaurant, i was in the middle of my soup iirc when a
'street person' an obviously, down on their luck, bedraggled, filthy,
unkempt, dirty person just walked in grabbed my untouched bread basket
and scurried out.

THe management were profuse in their apologies, produced another basket
of bread with alacrity. They seemed even more upset that the person did
not ask me if he could have my bread.

The chef came out and was particularly angry when i mentioned, in
response to some question of his, that the 'street person' didn't say a
word to me just grabbed the bread and ran.

I ate at that restaurant routinely, 4 - 5 nights a week after work and
often ate lunch there also. Very good food, unpretentious, well priced
and close to both my work and home.

When i was ready to pay the check i was told i would not be charged for
the meal or second drink that was served me with out my asking for it
and was again apologized to for the incident. And im not even a
particularly good tipper.

On subsequent visits i made it a point to sit further back inside the
restaurant and not quite so close to the front door
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!