Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_9_] dsi1[_9_] is offline

Default Skirt steak substitute?

Ravenlynne wrote:
> I'm making this recipe:
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...skirt-steak-ch
> urrasco-recipe/index.html
>
> It calls for skirt steak, but they don't carry it at the commissary
> here and I'm not going out in town, wasting expensive gas looking for
> this cheap cut of beef. Can I substitute flank steak?

Flank steak would work great but that's just my opinion. If you don't
know how to prepare flank steak, you should do research first cause it
can be tricky. You have to cook this piece at a high temperature yet you
have to avoid overcooking. Cook it beyond med. rare and you might as
well dump it but that's just my opinion. Slice the meat at a shallow
angle. I like flank prepared teriyaki style although I haven't bought
one in years cause it's expensive. I have no idea why it should be so
pricey.