Mr. Wizard

Default Some questions from a new cook....

"2BaCook" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi. I have learned a lot from reading the posts on this group. Now I
> thought I throw some specific questions I have.
>
> 1. Homemade dinner Rolls: I made some and the receipe said I could
> refrigerate a portion of the dough for up to 4 days. So I wrapped
> sections of the dough in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge; a
> couple days later I saw it swelled through the double layers of
> plastic wrap (like some sort of growth!) It was edible but weird to
> see in the fridge.

Always store dough in a bowl twice as big as as the wad
and cover tightly. Punch it down and allow to rise
again when preparing to bake it.

> 2. Herbs: Can fresh herbs be frozen to use in receipes later?

Yes. It's best to put them in a glass jar with a sealing lid
like a mason jar or an old spice bottle that you have
put through the dishwasher.

> 3. How can I make pasta ahead of time and then keep it to serve later?
> How do I warm it back up? How about leftover pasta, keeping it (with
> or without the sauce) and then best way to warm it up?

Without sauce:
Put it in a collander and slowly pour boiling water over it.
Then transfer it to a large slillet with some olive oil to finish.

With sauce: A covered skillet on the stovetop
or covered glass casserole dish in the microwave.

> 4. How do I warm up bread to serve?

Depends on the bread, but with the pasta questions...
Brush it with olive oil and herbs, wrap it in foil
and bake in the oven at a minimum 375 for 15-20 min.