Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default 10 Teas to Start With

On Nov 3, 11:35*am, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:40:31 -0800 (PST), "Dominic T."
>

> > wrote:
> >On Nov 2, 12:17*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> >> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 06:19:58 -0800 (PST), "Dominic T."

> >> That's like a novice carpenter asking a journeyman what tools they
> >> should buy for a starter set. The journeyman says, "Well, you'll need
> >> a hammer, a drill, a set of screwdrivers, a level, etc..." The novice
> >> goes to the hardware store and is overwhelmed by the choices for each
> >> tool. He goes back to the journeyman and says, "They had 50 hammers,
> >> 30 drills, hundreds of screwdrivers, etc. Can you recommend a specific
> >> tool for the type of carpentry I want to learn to do?" The journeyman
> >> says, "I want you to experience the journey, so just buy whatever you
> >> are drawn to."

> >> Thanks for the specific recommendations. Very helpful. I appreciate
> >> it.

> >> Unfortunately, the TeaSpring website was a complete disaster. It is
> >> riddled with bugs. I created an account and started adding teas to my
> >> shopping cart. At some point, it created a second shopping cart, so
> >> that I had teas in two places. Sometimes I would see one cart,
> >> sometimes the other.

> >> After I got all of the teas in one cart, I tried to checkout. I was
> >> presented with the new user screen. I had to log in again.

> >> When I finally got all of the information entered and clicked Make
> >> Payment, I was told that my credit card was rejected. I use that card
> >> all the time. It's perfectly good.

> >> Backing up, I discovered that the program did not fill in my compelte
> >> address, even though I provided all of that information when I created
> >> my account. I reentered it manually, but the credit card was rejected
> >> again.

> >> This website is not ready for prime time.

> >> Do you have another vendor to recommend? Maybe one with a working
> >> website?

> >Honestly I have never had such issues with their website... what
> >browser are you using. I order all the time with Firefox. Really there
> >is no good alternative for Chinese teas of the level of quality for
> >the price. I promise you, I trusted Daniel enough that the tea for my
> >wedding came from him... and was outstanding.

> >I understand your comment on the journeyman/hammer analogy... but just
> >the same, I guarantee the tools you pick out day one (even if handed
> >an exact list) will not be the tools you are using in your second
> >year. You will have different likes/dislikes/feel/looks/etc. than even
> >a "master" carpenter and those will change and transform over time.

> Of course. Beginners have different needs than experts. But that is
> not my point.
>
> >The reason I say to go with your gut when there is a choice to be
> >made, is that within those categories the variance is fairly subtle,
> >so if one leaps out at you for some reason (shape, color, price,
> >whatever) it will be fine, and the fact that *you* had some connection
> [...]

I think you are seeing this all far more adversarial than it is in
reality. If you notice I've typed pages of information here for you
and spent a lot of time compiling the initial list... I have nothing
to gain. I already enjoy tea, I know much of what I like, I get no
commission from teaspring or Uptons. I spend all this time and effort
in the hopes of helping others like yourself, and have for a number of
years.

I am saving you the failures and much of the trials by giving you 10
specific teas/categories to start with. I have been telling you that
as long as you buy any one tea in each of those categories you will be
miles ahead from someone who is just left to their own devices. If
there was some true pronounced difference or specific need then I'd
name specific teas, there isn't. In these categories they all more or
less are the same with subtle differences or characteristics. If you
went with Teaspring and ordered samples of the cheapest tea in each of
these 10 categories regardless of what it was, you will end up
perfectly fine and with a very good understanding of the differences.
If in one particular category something catches your eye or a
description/photo looks appealing... go for it. That's all I'm
saying.

At some point you either have to trust me in my effort to help, not
just you but anyone who would read my list, and trust that no matter
what you pick it won't make a groundbreaking difference even totally
blind... or don't. I'm telling you my only goal is to help, and to
save time, frustration, and money... not mine, yours. Not everything
is black and white and rigid and scientific, just let go a bit and
relax and enjoy the trip. There's no finish line, there is no
destination, it's just tea.

- Dominic