Melba's Jammin'

Default Some questions from a new cook....

In article >,
(2BaCook) wrote:

> Hi. I have learned a lot from reading the posts on this group. Now I
> thought I throw some specific questions I have.
>
> 1. Homemade dinner Rolls: I made some and the receipe said I could
> refrigerate a portion of the dough for up to 4 days. So I wrapped
> sections of the dough in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge; a
> couple days later I saw it swelled through the double layers of
> plastic wrap (like some sort of growth!) It was edible but weird to
> see in the fridge.

What's the question? You might want to punch the dough down every day.
Yeast will still be active in a fridge, although not as fast as at room
temp.

> 2. Herbs: Can fresh herbs be frozen to use in receipes later?

Sure. One way is to blend them with water in a blender and freeze in
ice cube trays. Remove when frozen and bag for longer term freezer
storage. Dill weed (probably other leafy herbs, too) can be laid on
freezer paper and rolled up, then put in a freezer bag for storage --
open and start unrolling the package and take what you need when you
need it.

> 3. How can I make pasta ahead of time and then keep it to serve later?
> How do I warm it back up? How about leftover pasta, keeping it (with
> or without the sauce) and then best way to warm it up?

When I have extra spaghetti noodles I refrigerate them (no sauce,
usually). When it's time for use, I put them on a plate, add the sauce
and nuke for a couple minutes until hot. If I have but one serving of
noodles and sauce, I'll put the noodles in a Tupperware container, pour
the one serving of sauce on top of it, cover and refrigerate. Nuke at
serving time.

For what I think you may be asking about, cook the noodles until almost
to the point of tenderness desired, drain, rinse, and chill in cold
water; drain and refrigerate. At serving time, bring to boil a rather
large quantity of water, dump in the noodles for maybe a minute, drain
and use.
HTH.

--
-Barb (