Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default 10 Teas to Start With

On Oct 31, 8:21*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> Would you care to suggest a few teas from Teaspring? I haven't had
> much luck with blacks so far, so I think I'll concentrate on greens
> and oolongs. Maybe three greens and three oolongs. Specific teas would
> be great.
>
> If it helps, I tend to like milder flavors. I have a strong aversion
> for bitter. I cannot tolerate coffee or beer. I prefer red wine to
> white, but not much of either, and fish or chicken to red meat (so I
> end up drinking red wine with fish).
>
> If you suggest some, I'll try them and report back.
>
> BTW: You keep talking about stale tea. I looked at a dozen teas on
> Teaspring and all of them said they were harvested in 2008 to 2006. I
> would expect to consume a tea in a year or so.

I really wanted to stay away from naming specific teas to allow for
each individual to just go with what they were drawn to naturally
within those categories, but since you asked I'll say that of their
greens I enjoy (and would fit your likes): Bi Lo Chun, Long Jing,
Jasmine Pearls, and Zhu Ye Qing. As well as the Huo Shan Huang Ya I
mentioned earlier which is a yellow tea, but wonderful and mild and
sweet and like a green. I have tried and not liked teaspring's Tai
Ping Hou Kui and the Huang Shan Mao Feng. Again, I think it is just
the site that doesn't always get updated because I have had some very
fresh teas from them... I have had one order of bi lo chun and one
order of Huo Shan Huang Ya that were not very fresh... but those were
two instances in over 10+ orders.

My wife loves Teaspring's Shui Xian, I find it a little lacking but
still a very good example. The Yunnan Gold is good, malty and a little
sweet. The Long Jing Huang Pao is my favorite black tea from them, but
expensive and it is an odd flavor reminiscent of over-ripe funky
fruit... so that may not be for everyone. I can't say how their Keemun
is because I have not ordered that from them. Same for the flowery/
green oolong... they aren't a favorite of mine so I don't regularly
order them at all. Most of the last ones I had were from Stephane
Erler's Tea Masters Blog, and while they were super quality, I still
didn't find much to like.

Hopefully that helps (I do know I just re-mentioned many of the names
from the list, but I don't want to steer you too much) If Teaspring
offers more than one in any of those mentioned, you can be safe going
with the least expensive of each category, or splurge if something
catches your eye. It is an individual process and the 10 teas listed
really are just a selection of teas that cover most of the specific
flavors found in tea in the least number of teas possible.

- Dominic