jmcquown

Default Some questions from a new cook....

2BaCook wrote:
> Hi. I have learned a lot from reading the posts on this group. Now I
> thought I throw some specific questions I have.
>
> 1. Homemade dinner Rolls: I made some and the receipe said I could
> refrigerate a portion of the dough for up to 4 days. So I wrapped
> sections of the dough in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge; a
> couple days later I saw it swelled through the double layers of
> plastic wrap (like some sort of growth!) It was edible but weird to
> see in the fridge.

Yeast roll/bread dough will continue to rise until it is cooked (unless it
is frozen). Not sure what recipe/advice you got about putting it in the
fridge, but punching it down should do the trick I get a weird sort of
satisfaction punching down bread dough.

> 2. Herbs: Can fresh herbs be frozen to use in receipes later?

Yes.

> 3. How can I make pasta ahead of time and then keep it to serve later?
> How do I warm it back up? How about leftover pasta, keeping it (with
> or without the sauce) and then best way to warm it up?

Refrigerate un-sauced cooked pasta tightly covered. Warm it up either on a
low microwave setting or place it over simmering water in a steamer basket
until warmed.

> 4. How do I warm up bread to serve?

Unless you are talking about toasted bread (aka garlic bread) use the
steamer basket method mentioned above. Microwaving will toughen the
bread/rolls and make them unpalatable.

Jill