Frogleg

Default Dumb Question - Cooking Sausage in Microwave

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 20:55:35 GMT, Jedi Master CK
> wrote:

>I have fresh italian sausage that I want uncut on the side for
>spaghetti and red sauce...
>
>Can I simply cook the sausage link in the microwave? If yes, how long
>do I cook it for in the microwave? Until it reaches 170 degrees?

Anything with a casing (sausage, hot dogs, eggs) has a powerful
potential to explode in a microwave if not at least pierced. And will
probably ooze unappetizingly at the pierced sites. Directions in a
m'wave cookbook say mostly to slash, cut into pieces, or crumble,
depending on the type of sausage. And cook until "no longer pink."

You *could* boil/poach in the m'wave (after piercing) and see how that
turns out. If she likes boiled sausages, whatever criteria you use for
testing *their* doneness should be adequate.

Where did your child pick up the idea of "non-brown" sausage anyhow?
And cutting into small pieces is supposed to be a "kid-pleasing"
presentation. Go figure. :-)