Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ricavito Ricavito is offline

Default Turkey wing soup

On Oct 24, 1:26*pm, "W. Baker" > wrote:
> Cheri > wrote:
> : "Evelyn" > wrote in message

> : >
> : > This newsgroup has gone dead, dead, dead!
> : >
> : > The turkey wing soup I made a couple of weeks ago turned out so incredibly
> : > delicious I bought another humungous turkey wing and doing it again.
> : >
> : > Loads of vegetables, no noodles. * When I plan to serve it, I will boil a
> : > few noodles for the other folks, but I am not having any.
> : >
> : > BTW, I am dieting these days....... again......
> : >
> : > Relying on my WASA sourdough crackers as my "bread" and I have to tell you
> : > I am feeling better already. * *Eating lower carb and lower calorie is
> : > agreeing with me.
>
> : Yes, it's amazing the difference in how a person feels. I've been making a
> : lot of chicken soup lately, I really don't care for cooked carrots, so am
> : adding celery, onion, sometimes zucchini. Filling, and pretty LC, though
> : mine isn't necessarily low cal since I sometimes add some cream to the
> : finished product. I'll try the turkey wing too. I like to put half a pita in
> : the toaster oven and crisp it up occasionally for something to eat with the
> : soup.
>
> : Cheri
>
> My mother used to use veal bones in her chicken soup to "strengthen" it. *
> I find that the aadition of a good sized turkey wing adds a great deal of
> body and flavor. *In addition, the meat cut form the bones after the soup
> is finished, along with teh chicken meat *makes lovely emergency or quick
> meal chcken salad. *I often freeze this meat and take it out when
> appropriate. *
>
> I also make a turkey carcasse soup after Thanksgiving or ther turkey
> holiday, to which I often add a turkey wing. *I put in the carcasse, any
> skin and stuffing that remains, , plenty of celery, onions, carrots, and
> green peppers as well as thyme, a few handfuls of beans, some kind of hot
> pepers, but not too muchas well as a 28 oz can of tomatoes, plus water to
> the desired amunt. *I let this allcook for a while, but no where near as
> long as for chicken soup, as the turkey carcasse gives up its ghost rather
> quickly and, after adjusting for seasonings(salt and fresh ground pepper)
> I freeze it in quart jars and have for the winter whenever I need a quick
> meal that tastes warm and cmforting, with just a bit of a kick. *It is a
> pretty free-form soup and can be used as a clean out the refrigeator kind
> of stuff.
>
> Wendy

Clean out the crisper soup is what I call it :-). I roasted beef neck
bones this morning and then put them in the slow cooker all day. I
just strained the stock for tomorrow's soup and it smells yummy.
Tomorrow, I'll chop up what's in the fridge that won't keep much
longer, I know there's some yellow squash and zucchini, bok choy,
chilis, and bell pepper. Maybe I'll throw in some celery, onion, and
a carrot. I've still got tomatoes from the garden and some pre-
steamed, peeled fava beans in the freezer I can put in too. When it's
about done, I'll toss in a handful of fresh herbs and maybe some of my
spinach, which is coming in good.

I bought some "crackers" that are made mostly of various seeds and
spelt flour. If we don't break a tooth on them, they do provide
something to crunch on. Maybe I'll chop a couple up and sprinkle on
the soup to serve. Or maybe make some parmesan chips in a skillet and
sprinkle the soup with those.

My DH will be parked in front of the TV all day watching football and
he tends to munch on football Sundays, so this will give us both
something good to eat.