Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Ques' on grilling salmon

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Tutall wrote:
>> On Oct 20, 8:50 am, Janet Wilder >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I make a glaze out of chopped fresh ginger and pure maple
>>> syrup that I
>>> boil together for a couple of minutes and lightly brush the
>>> fish before
>>> cooking and once or twice while cooking.

>> IMO this is like putting A-1 sauce on a good steak. Have you
>> tried it
>> with just simple S&P or similar?
>>
>> And sugar near high heat? *shrug*
>>

> The "sugar" is not near the heat and the heat is not all that
> high.
>
> Yes we have tried it with just pepper and garlic (if you would
> have read my post without first putting on your "yuck!" face,
> you would have seen that we do not like salt. We like the little
> bit of sweet from the maple syrup.
>
> We got this recipe in New Brunswick, Canada where they mostly
> plank the salmon and maple syrup is something Canadians do all
> the time. The ginger was my own.
>
> If you don't want to eat it, they you are not invited the next
> time I do one.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Janet, we have Salmon roughly weekly. We usually do it with the
same method, and you might want to give it a try.

Salmon is cut into fillets with the skin ON. It's washed and
drained before preparation, then doused liberally with olive oil.

Placed skin side down, the flesh side is then sprinkled with
Kosher salt and then covered liberally with dry dill weed.
Period.

The grill is preheated to as high as it goes, then the grates
sprayed with Pam for Grilling. Immediately, the salmon is placed
flesh side down and cooked for 3-4 minutes, max. It's then
flipped to flesh side up and cooked until the thickest part is
120f maximum. By then, the skin is hardened at the edges.

It's served with our ginger butter sauce, which I've posted
before. If you ask, I'll post it again. We serve the salmon in
about 8 ounce fillets per person and that seems to be about right.
Most prefer to flip the fillet over, remove the skin and then use
the side of a fork to remove most of the dark fat/line before
flipping it back over and enjoying.

--
Nonny

Live a good and honorable life.