Posted to rec.food.cooking
Zeppo[_2_] Zeppo[_2_] is offline

Default REVIEW: Trader Joe's Savory Broth Chicken Flavor

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> I was at Trader Joe's this morning looking for chicken stock,
> and I saw a product I hadn't seen before. It is a concentrated
> chicken stock paste that comes in a little cardboard box
> containing 12 little packets. It's alleged that one packet
> is enough to make one cup of broth.
>
> I go through lots of cans of chicken stock. At about
> $1 per can, it seems excessively expensive to me.
> At $3.99 per box, the Trader Joe's product is 1/3 that
> cost, though the cans contain more than a cup. The
> way I used the packet, though, was equal to the way
> I would use a can because in either case I use one
> unit to make one pot of soup. I make less than a
> quart at a time, and eat it all immediately. I usually
> do this about three times a week, even in the summer,
> so I'm eating a lot of soup.
>
> I'm still undecided about the flavor. It seems to be
> good, but I'm not sure I like it better than Swanson's
> Natural Goodness. It sure has a lot less salt. That
> was immediately noticable. I don't use much salt,
> and I am aware the Swanson's product has a lot of salt
> in it. I don't dare eat two cans of that stuff in a
> single day, otherwise my feet swell up.
>
> I think I will switch to the Trader Joe's product,
> mostly because it is cheaper and lower salt. And
> I won't have to be lugging sacks of cans around all
> the time.

Hi Mark,
I pay a lot less at BJ's for cans. I get a case of 12 cans of College Inn
standard chicken stock for ~$5. I use this for making rice or risotto or
other uses where the flavor of the stock isn't critical and use Swanson
Natural Goodness or Kitchen Basics for more critical use.

At 40 cents a can I'm not as likely to quibble about wasting some if need
be.

Jon