Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bent Attorney Esq.[_2_] Bent Attorney Esq.[_2_] is offline

Default Chefs/cooks who smoke..... Chef Mario Batali...... whatgives??

On Oct 12, 12:59*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *PeterL > wrote:
> > "Dave Bugg" > wrote in
> > > Now if he would just give up tobacco....

> > I *hate* chefs who smoke!!
> > How the hell can they taste their food properly if their tastebuds are so
> > screwed up by smoking??

> Good point, but a lot of them do.
>
> > And I've seen *plenty* of chefs/cooks go outside for a smoke then go
> > straight back in and start messing around with food, without washing their
> > hands.

> > I don't eat at restaurants where any of the cooking staff smoke.

> > It limits the number of places I can go to, but it's worth it in the end.

> I would think so. *Maybe that explains why you do so much cooking
> yourself? *If the food tastes of tobacco smoke, I'm not going back, but
> most chefs I know are smart enough to go elsewhere (even if it's just
> the back room) to smoke.
>
> Let me guess, you used to smoke? *It's the ex-smokers, in my experience,
> who are most opposed to smoking.

I'm an ex-smoker. Haven't had a cigarette since 1983. Guess when
exactly I quit? The day after the tobacco harvest had ended. I was
kiln hanger. Could no longer stand tobacco.