Big Mo Big Mo is offline
Member

Location: Midwest

[quote=Theron;1388812]I want to sear a pork tri-tip, let it cool, and then smoke it at a very low
temp. 200, if I can get down that far, until the thermometer reads 130F.
Then to let it rest while the meat rises to 130F. As far as I can tell, and
after talking to my butcher, the tri-tip is from the loin somewhere. I think
it's one of those California terms applied onlyl here, like Chateaubriand
applied to sirloin rather than tenderloin.

What seasonings to try? Do you dry rub and sauté afterwards. With an initial
sear should I not apply a dry rub? Would you dry rub, smoke at 200F and sear
afterwards?

Thanks for any ideas.

Ed

"Head Country" makes a great pork rub.