Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Chefs/cooks who smoke..... Chef Mario Batali...... whatgives??

On 2009-10-13, Ravenlynne > wrote:

> From what Anthony Bourdain says, a LOT of chefs smoke.

It's true. And very seldom just tobacco. Most places ban smoking in
the kitchen, but every break or lull in the action and the staff
hotfoots it out the back door to light up.

The fact is, cooking is quite a boring occupation. How many times can
you make the same dish, over and over and over, before you start
losing your mind? Cooking at home is different. You can change the
menu anytime. Not so at a restaurant, which may keep the same menu
for years. Drinking is also a major problem. This is common in any
occupation where unending repetition wearies and deadens the soul.
It's one of the reasons I never persued a cooking career or a music
career or a....

I've changed a dozen careers for the same reason. Some people are
perfectly content with lifelong sameness. More power to them, I say.
I actually envy them. For most people, job boredom can be deadly.
Alcohol, smoking, drugs, etc. Bad mojo.

nb