Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] ranck@vt.edu is offline

Default Things you've upgraded or replaced

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I don't know if it's common, but the 8 outlets in our 3 year old kitchen
> are divided among four separate 20 amp circuits. The over-the-range
> microwave is on its own dedicated circuit, as is the refrigerator and the
> freezer that's in the pantry. It's easy for me to operate several high
> wattage appliaces simultaneously. I have never tripped a breaker.

A strict reading of the NEC would call for dedicated circuits for
the microwave, refrigerator and freezer, so that's "normal" for
reasonably new construction. Last I looked they only required
2 counter circuits, but it's really cheap and easy to add a couple
extra if you are installing in new construction or a major remodel,
so worth doing with the number of counter appliances available
these days. You are unlikely to trip breakers unless you insist
on using 2 or more heavy current appliances on the same circuit
at the same time. Somebody did a good job adding those extra circuits.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.