Posted to rec.food.cooking
PickyJaz PickyJaz is offline

Default Things you've upgraded or replaced

On Oct 7, 1:02*pm, hahabogus > wrote (snipped):
> Almost bought a specialized garlic crusher...looked kinda like a
> stainless steel toilet paper holder cylinder with a section of gear
> teeth in the middle. But figured the side of my cleaver works well
> enough.

Based on my exceedingly frugal daughter's kitchen gadget ideas and
advice, I have not replaced the rather old, small, hand crank nut
chopper I actually enjoy using. I was also going to buy us both a
rather large, cuts three or four different ways, vegetable chopper.
I'd like having that for when I make big batches of soups, salads or
stews. Her logic? She cooks big most days, but feels all the peeling
and chopping is a great stress reducer and for me the "big batches"
will pretty much be past when I retire next year and will no longer be
cooking for 6-15 Marines at a time weekly. I gave though to her
stress reduction claim, which for me turns into cooking days I really
enjoy instead of feel rushed through because of peeling and chopping.

Best in a very long time replacement? I grew up on using nothing but
the local grocer's Gold Medal AP Flour. A few weeks ago my first
order (of four different sorts) from KA Flour came in. I will never
again buy a grocery store's on the shelf for who knows how long
flours. What a good difference this quality, fresh flour has made in
my baking!
....Picky