Bob Pastorio

Default Rick Bayless sells out!

notbob wrote:

> On 2003-11-01, Naomi Darvell > wrote:
>
>>If you can back up what you said about the donation being part of RB's contract
>>with BK, I'd like to see that.

> While we're waiting for Bob to back up his claim, we can ruminate on
> this little tidbit:
>
> "At Frontera Grill in Chicago, food left over at the end of the
> evening is given to nontipped kitchen workers to take home. Says
> Jennifer Fife, assistant to Chef Rick Bayless, "They get first dibs on
> anything we can't use the next day or hold over the weekend.""
>
> IOW, he gives his staff the garbage. Now, you just know someone with
> such a maganimous nature has only the most altruistic motives.

Wonderful. Such deep thinking.

Food left over at the end of the night isn't garbage. It's merely
unsold food. And, in Bayliss operations, rather high quality food. He
gives his employees food. Only someone who hasn't the remotest grasp
on how restaurants work would think of it as garbage. It's good food
that saves employees money. It's good enough to sell at 9:59. It's
still good enough to sell at 10:05 when he gives it to the very people
who made it. Do you think the prep people who spent the time making it
think it's garbage?

Pastorio