Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] rossr35253@forteinc.com is offline

Default Fuel Cost Comparisons in Text format

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 14:29:31 -0700, "Theron" >
wrote:

>Again, the BTU per pound of different brands of charcoals is not the same as
>indicated. I'm also assuming 10,000 BTU per hour, which is variable, based
>on cooking temp, and the size of the cooking unit. I've been unable to find
>anything about the ingredients of the Sam's Walmart charcoal, and the Trader
>Joe's charcoall is claimed to be 100% hardwood plus cornstarch to bind and
>lump is wood.
> cost weight/lb cost/lb btu/lb cost/10,000 BTU
>Comp to propane Cost/5 hrs Cost/10 hrs
>
>20 lb Propane $20.00 20 $1.00 21000 $0.48
>100.00% $2.38 $4.76
>
>Sam's Choice $5.27 18 $0.29 9000 $0.33
>68.31% $1.63 $3.25
>
>Trader Joe's $6.95 18 $0.39 9000 $0.43
>90.09% $2.15 $4.29
>
>"Lump" Charcoal varies varies $0.55 9000 $0.61
>128.33% $3.06 $6.11

You pick a number out of the air for charcoal Btu/hr, then assign a
ridiculously high price to propane. All this in an effort to come up
with a cost comparison for something that few, if any, in this group
give a tinker's dam about.
Why? What's your point?
Before you started posting these attempts at fuel cost comparisons,
the cost of fuel was the least of my considerations. It still is, if I
had to use $20.00 worth of either charcoal or propane to turn $10.00
worth of pork shoulder into something my friends and family would
thoroughly enjoy, so be it.

Ross.