Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann[_7_] Paul E. Lehmann[_7_] is offline

Default Apple wine/cider

D P Wigley wrote:

> Any comments on what yeasts not to use in apple wines/ciders. Last year,
> like the year before, I made 5 5 ga batches, only difference being the
> yeast used.
> Unfortunately, in March, due to using Zicam cold remedy, I completely lost
> my sense of smell which still hasn't returned.
> I entered all the batches in a local brew contest...3 of the 5 won
> medals--the fourth was respectable and the fifth was called undrinkable
> and "fecal smelling." The only difference in all was the yeast-but my
> manual of notes was accidently tossed out, so I don't know which yeasts
> were the offenders. I do know that for two of them, I had to use Bocksin
> to remove very offending sulfur odors...I would like to chart yeasts for
> apple ciders/wines so that I don't repeat the error. BTW, we did actually
> try the fecal wine/cider, and it does taste decent when you get past the
> smell...easy for me, not so easy for others.
> IF YOU ENJOY YOUR HOMEMADE BREW/WINE, DON'T EVER USE ZICAM!

It may not have been a yeast problem although certain yeast are supposedly
more prone to have this problem. I believe the yeast that some blame is
Montrachet.

It is more likely due to a reductive environment - ie your wine sitting on
the gross lees too long. Fine lees can be beneficial to aging a wine but
the 'gross' lees (those containing pulp debris) can cause the problem you
describe.