Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Prof Wonmug Prof Wonmug is offline

Default Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:47:42 -0700, Prof Wonmug > wrote:

>I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
>tea.
>
>http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp
>
>I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.
>
>My 1st pot was at the vendor recs: 2.25g/cup, 212°, 5:00. This was
>like battery acid.
>
>Next I tried have that strength for 3 minutes. This was better, but
>still too strong.
>
>Next I tried 1.0 g/cup for 2 minutes. This was too weak.
>
>Next I tried 1.5 g/cup for 1 minute. This was the best so far, but
>still not great (for me). It had an odd taste and after taste that I
>can't quite describe. A little smokey, but not exactly. It also left a
>funny feeling in my stomach.
>
>My latest test was 3.0 g/cup for just 30 seconds. I've had good luck
>with double or triple strength for very short steeps, but this was
>very bitter -- as bad as the first pot.
>
>I am about to conclude that this is just not a tea I like. But, before
>I shelve it, can anyone suggest other parameters I might try?
>
>Thanks

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions for brewing parameters.

I have a little more testing to do, but this tea works best for me at
about 2.0 g/cup, a slightly cooler temp (~190), a fairly short steep
time (less than a minute), and with a pre-rinse in cold water.

I was about to throw this out. I'm glad I got better data. This
probably won't ever be a favorite, but it might be good for an
occasional change of pace.

I appreciate the help from those with more experience.