Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP

On Sep 29, 5:27*pm, toci > wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2:34*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:31:54 -0700 (PDT), toci >
> > wrote:

> > >With a strong Assam or African tea I've found 212degrees for 90seconds
> > >works. *Then make a second cup with the same "leaf" -maybe "grounds"
> > >would be a better word- *aand have a second strong cup later in the
> > >morning. * * Toci

> > Do you usually brew the second pot using the same parameters?

> > Someone suggested increasing the time by 15-30 seconds for 2nd and 3rd
> > pots for green teas.- Hide quoted text -

> Once I've gotten the first mug out after 90 seconds, the second mug
> can brew all morning or until I'm ready for it. *I would suspect the
> second mug needs at least five minutes, though. * * Toci

And not being snarky, but this is exactly what I was trying to get
across... parameters aren't needed. "all morning" or "15 breaths"
don't need quantified, and there is a huge range of perfectly
acceptable values. I'm an IT/tech./science guy too, I can whip up an
algorithm for a lot of tasks... tea just doesn't need it.

My suggestion with this particular Assam is to *stop*. Pick up two
more Assams from two different vendors preferably and go through the
same brewings you have done with this one. You are going to find some
things out. A) you don't care for Assams B) you like one over the
others, and then figure out why (better and along the same lines as
numbers) C) You realize you actually like something particular in that
first one or even that you prefer it after all D) you put them all
away, move on to some new tea and then in a year when you pull them
back out you realize your palate has changed and you love them (or
still hate them).

We're all here to enjoy tea. We all enjoy it differently. As much as
you think I may have been wrong, you'll find that it's not about being
"right" or "wrong" and that there is no perfect cup of tea or perfect
setting or parameter that can be quantified.

- Dominic