Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Prof Wonmug Prof Wonmug is offline

Default Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP

On 28 Sep 2009 16:19:10 -0400, Lewis Perin > wrote:

>Prof Wonmug > writes:
>
>> I bought a 125g sample of Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP (TA40) from Upton
>> tea.

>Well, that's your problem right there! When are you going to learn to
>stop measuring and just go with the flow?

I've tried, but I just can't help collecting data. I must have a data
gene.

>(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
>
>> http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...rom=search.asp
>>
>> I can't seem to find any good brewing parameters.
>> [...]
>>
>> Next I tried 1.5 g/cup for 1 minute. This was the best so far, but
>> still not great (for me). It had an odd taste and after taste that I
>> can't quite describe. A little smokey, but not exactly. It also left a
>> funny feeling in my stomach.

>Maybe this really is a bad tea. Off flavors make me suspicious no
>matter what the parameters are.

AFAICT, it's not an "off" flavor in the sense of being bad or spoiled.
Assams have strong flavors. I've tried 2-3 and didn't really like any
of them, but someone recommended this one, so I thought I'd try it.

>This is probably a long shot, but before you ditch this tea, maybe you
>should try a lower temperature?

That was going to be my next trial. 190? 180? 160?