Posted to rec.food.preserving
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Size of pressure canner?

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> "Dan L." > wrote:
> > One other point of interest from the next to last post is --
> > My manual states that 1.5 inches of water (somewhere 1 to 2 quarts) is
> > to be placed in the bottom of the canner. I could not find in the manual
> > about adding water up to half way up on the jars in my manual. I am
> > using more water than the manual asked for.
> >
> > I found where I got that idea of adding water half way up on the jars.
> > In the holy Bible of canning - Ball's "Complete Book of HOME
> > PRESERVING", page 381.

> Actually, it's the Ball Blue Book that is considered to be the home
> preserver's bible. :-0) The big book has been out for only 3 years
> while the BBB has been published since Moses wore kneepants * or at
> least the 1940s. (Susan can tell me if I'm wrong about that.)

More lessons to be learned. Any thunderstorms and lightening bolts in
your area as your were typing that message?

> The BBB on pages 6-7 says "Filled jars sealed with two-piece caps are
> placed in the canner containing approximately 2" of water." That, to
> me, means you put two inches of water in the canner before you put the
> jars in. I don't know if filling the canner with jars will raise the
> level to half the height of the jar.
>
> Excerpted from he
> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...s_canners.html
> this is what the NCHFP says about how to do it correctly. Note the
> first point. Note the second paragraph of point nine.

Point nine is where I miss understood and my mistake. I went by the dial
gauge as being completely depressurized not steam venting from the
weight.

Enjoy Life ... Dan L

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.