Posted to alt.food.barbecue
theron theron is offline

Default cold smoking

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Theron wrote:
>

>> Again, above, you're confused about the definition of a troll, and again,
>> from Wikipekia:
>> "Troll: In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial,
>> inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community,
>> such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary
>> intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of
>> otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."
>>

> Theron/Kent/Ed,
>
> You seem concerned about whether the troll accusation
> fairly applies. In my opinion there are some questions
> that keep the issue alive. I'll pick one.
>
> Why would you ask about the safety of eating uncooked
> country ham (a rather strange question to say the least,
> and one which predictably sparked a good deal of
> controversy), then having gotten an answer, ask it again
> in the same place 4 years later?
>
> Not a big deal to me you understand, but without some
> clarification here I'd say the preponderance of the
> evidence in everyone's minds will continue to be
> against you.
>
> Time to put a slab on the smoker and go for a surf.
>
> --
> Reg

There are several number of reasons why it is reasonable to readdress an
issue such as that.

1. It wasn't fully answered last time.
2. I don't think it's answered by the country ham industry, or if it
presumably is, some lawyer is telling them what to say.
3. New people watch this group daily, who have different and hopefully
better insights than those who responded four years ago.
4. I think it's a good question.
5. Finally, if you can't raise a fundamental question now and then, like
mop, rub, charcoal, temperature, and etc. what else is there?
How many times do you want to hear "OB food: steak and fries tonight"
at the end of an otherwise inane message?

Regarding trolling: As the above states, a troll is a message that is posted
to create an emotional or disruptive response. The question about ham
doesn't do that. When a poster says "**** off", as was done recently, that
is a troll that invites a flame. I can't be accused of doing that, again,
other than my recent posts to several veteran flamers.

Finally, this is a non moderated newsgroup. While there may have been a
standard of subject, behavior, and so forth when the NG started, a non
moderated newsgroup will expand on its own. The thrust is supposed to be bbq
"Low and Slow". It isn't, and can't be because a minority of this NG's
readers are dedicated "Low and Slow" BBQers. I suspect from a usage
standpoint the gas grill wins hands down, other charcoal grills next, and
last the true smokers if you measure popularity.

Cheers to all,

Ed