Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default cold smoking

Theron wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Theron wrote:
>>
>>> Lox, like gravlax, is raw cured salmon. It isn't smoked. To create
>>> cold smoked salmon, or Nova lox, you have to do what Jeff above is
>>> saying, generate smoke that's essentially at room temperature to
>>> smoke the cured fish. I don't think any of the smokers on the market
>>> for consumers can do this. They all "cook" the salmon more than you
>>> want. We're back to liquid smoke, for the most part.

>> A prime example of why you are such a hemmorhoid, Kent. As I said in
>> a post, you like to nit-pick on stuff to which you have NO
>> knowledge, and you will argue ad infinitum. Just how much time have
>> you logged using the Bradley, Kent? How much time have you logged
>> using the cold-smoking add-on to the Bradley? Don't bother
>> answering, most of us already know the answer.

> I have tried to cold smoke salmon on a low temp. electric smoker a
> number of times, reducing the smoking temp. by increasing the
> distance from the smoke source to where smoke touches the cured
> salmon. I haven't been able to do it. The salmon always slightly
> cooks. I wasn't aware that the Bradley had a smoke generating unit
> that separated from the smoker itself. In fact you can buy it
> separately and make your own box.
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9730206 At $164
> it seems a bit high. I don't know if that would work or not. Maybe a
> 20' long "smoke tube" running into a smoking box in the next room? As
> I said before, next time I'm going to try liquid smoke. I'll do a
> taste test of available liquid smoke products and report my findings.

GAWD, you are doing the frickin' Dense Dance, Kent.

You make a statement "I don't think any of the smokers on the market for
consumers can do this."

1. You are caught, once again, talking out of sheer ignorance.

2. As others have done before me, I pointed out that the Bradley has a cold
smoking unit designed to do exactly what you claim doesn't exist. (I don't
even bother to point out that my Kamado and other ceramic pits do quite well
with cold smoking).

3. You then do the trademarked 'Kent Backpeddle Boogie' by saying, "I wasn't
aware that the Bradley had a smoke generating unit that separated from the
smoker itself."

4. Next comes the expected 'Kent Discovery Mode' where our hero provides
information that those replying to the thread already know. "In fact you can
buy it separately", Kent says, "and make your own box". Our boy, Kent, then
provides a Walmart url to complete the Backpeddle Boogie.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!!!

5. Here comes the 'Kent Priceless Critique' phase, "At $164 it seems a bit
high." Of course, such a review is based on Kent's long-time
consumer-shopping expertise on the Bradley unit.

6. Now we are into Kent's 'Stupid Questioning Phase', in which Kent, despite
the wide-ranging experience of others who have successfully used the Bradley
cold-smoking unit, posits thusly: "I don't know if that would work or not"
..
7. Next we come to the patented 'Kent Dumb-Ass Moment' in which he comes up
with something stupendously off-script. "Maybe a 20' long "smoke tube"
running into a smoking box in the next room?", he asks. And Kent waits with
a certainty that all will acknowledge such profound and heretofore
unknowable wisdom with fawning admiration and applause. Those of us with
experience with the Bradley would normally expect someone in Kent's position
to ask a more sane question like, "How did you set up your unit?". Instead,
we are left shaking our heads in wonder.

8. Then Kent does his 'Hey Everybody, I'm Valuable; Don't Throw Me Off The
Island' routine where he says, "As I said before, next time I'm going to try
liquid smoke. I'll do a taste test of available liquid smoke products and
report my findings." The really sad part is that Kent thinks we can hardly
wait for him to do this and that we even care.

--
Dave