Posted to alt.food.barbecue
theron theron is offline

Default cold smoking

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> all of that sounds wonderful, am really leaning towards this unit, i would
> consider that stove top thing but i just can't beleive it wouldn't smoke
> my house, Lee
> "Kent Billeau" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>> this is an area i know virtually nothing about. after reading here and
>>> a couple of other places i am interested in a general discussion on this
>>> topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what products? site
>>> reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,

>> Cold smoking is quite easy with a Bradley, and is used in some
>> interesting ways. For instance, when some folk were out front of the
>> subdivision a few years back putting up Christmas decorations, before
>> joining them I placed a pound of almonds and a pound of cashews on trays
>> and smoked them for an hour. By the time the people were ready to get to
>> work, I had warm, smoked nuts to treat everybody. Smoking cheese is a
>> matter of taste, of course, but it makes an interesting mini wheel to let
>> people cut slices from to put on crackers at a party.
>>
>> Where I use cold smoking most is to impart a smoke flavor to food that is
>> ultimately cooked on the grill or microwave. For instance, bulk bacon
>> can be purchased, sprayed lightly with a 25% solution of maple syrup and
>> then smoked for 20 minutes or so using an Apple puck. Then, it can be
>> repackaged, microwaved, fried or even frozen for future use.
>>
>> I know one fellow who smoked a half salmon, then just left it in the
>> refrigerator thinking it'd be preserved. Thank goodness he tossed it out
>> when he spotted the green. As Nonny mentioned, it's a great way to add
>> smoke flavor, tough, to chicken, while still preparing it the traditional
>> way on the grill or even in a fryer.
>>
>> Kent

Stormmee, if I were going to consider the Bradley, I'd go to the dealer and
ask him to fire it up without any fuel, which he should be willing to do.
Put your own oven thermometer inside and see what the temp is at its lowest
setting. I'd want to be in the 75F or lower at its lowest setting. The
smoking pellet is going to add a few degrees to that. The last time I tried
to smoke salmon I was able to get the temp. at the salmon to 105F. It was
too warm and the salmon cooked more than I wanted. You really want smoke
without heat to reproduct the cold smoked fish we're trying to duplicate.

Ed