Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D D is offline

Default Lump and Briquette Charcoal Question

Theron wrote:

> I reuse Kingsford. I'm using old Weber steel baskets which have been
> discontinued and I wish I could find. I light up the old charcoal on the
> bottom of the basket with the Performer lighter and put new charcoal on top.
> I suppose it acts somewhat like an ignitor.
>
> TJ's all wood charcoal is $6.99/18lb, or $.39/lb. That's a good price for
> charcoal around here and cheaper than Lazzari's lump. I'm using TJ's wood at
> present. My problem with lump is the difference in particle size, ranging
> from ounces to several pounds. I have a 9lb chunk of lump sitting in my
> patio. It looks like abstract art.
>
> Can you tell the difference if you're quickly searing a steak? I can't. I
> can when comparing to gas. Is the "woodier" taste of the lump important if
> you're adding wood as you go? That's what I'm most interested in. For a
> "seared" steak I don't think I can tell a difference. For low and slow with
> added wood I'm not sure either.
>
> Ed

I don't consider the cost of the fuel when I smoke. I buy my lump he

http://wickedgoodcharcoal.com/

I buy the "Weekend Warrior Lump". With shipping it's not cheap, but I
try to get the best results that I can. It also lasts a very long time.

I look at it like fishing. By the time I bring home 10# of fillets, the
cost - per pound - is huge when you consider the cost of the boat, fuel,
maintenance, insurance, etc. It's more of a hobby than anything else.