Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default cold smoking

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> salmon is one of the things i am interested in cold smoking,
>> Lee

>>> Will the Bradley smoke at as low a temp. that you need for
>>> "cold smoked salmon"? I think you basically need room
>>> temperature smoke, to avoid cooking the salmon. I've kind of
>>> given up on that. The next time I get some good fresh wild
>>> salmon I'm going to make gravlax and cover the surface with a
>>> bit of diluted "liquid smoke".
>>>
>>> Horrors,
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>

> To cold smoke salmon you should cure it first. Make the
> Scandanivian gravlax
> http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/132/Gravlax
> and then smoke following. I've tried this several times without
> success. The salmon ended up stiff and "cooked". I met quite a
> savvy fellow Scandinavian who said, shockingly, what I said
> above. You make the gravlax, and then apply carefully diluted
> liquid smoke. I haven't tried that, though I'm going to.
>
> As others have said, you have to get "cold smoke" to the fish,
> and you should to do the curing first. You have to have a smoker
> that will generate smoke without heat.
>
> Good Luck

I think we're talking about two different things. In my case, we
purchase a large salmon fillet. From the refrigerator, it's
washed in cold water then laid on a Bradley grate. It's placed in
the Bradley and one or two Alder pucks are used, for a total time
in the smoker of about 20-40 minutes. The fillet is then brought
inside, removed from the rack and coated well with EVOO, followed
by a good dose of dried dill weed and Kosher salt. It's then
taken to the preheated as hot as it can get grill and cooked for
about 5 minutes meat side down, then flipped to the skin side and
cooked until it's the way we like it.

Here in the Nonny house, there's a disagreement between "leave the
fat on," and "scrape the fat off," group. The fillet is first
brought to the cutting board where it's cut into serving-length
pieces and the skin is removed. In the case of "leave the fat
on," it's served with the fat side down and the grill marks/dill
on top. In the case of the "scrape the fat off" group, I use a
fork to gently scrape the fat from the inverted serving, including
the lateral line. Then, like the other, its flipped and served
with the grill marks/dill on top.

In all cases, it's served with ginger butter on the side, and
that's a very popular addition. With the time the salmon fillet
spends in the smoker, I have no concern about it spoiling.

--
Nonny

Government is the great fiction
through which everybody endeavors
to live at the expense of everybody else.