Posted to alt.food.wine
Steve Slatcher Steve Slatcher is offline

Default What is a "good" wine?

Leo Bueno wrote:
> This may have been discussed here before (but I have not see it, so I ask). It
> just dawned upon me that one of the questions people who are curious about wine
> ask is: What is a "good" wine?
>
> I have some ideas about how to answer that question, but much prefer to hear
> what you think is a "good" wine.
>
> Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Anything over 90pts.

Only kidding I agree with the other comments - it is a very personal
thing. For me...

A good wine has to have a refreshing quality - acid, astringency, or
something savoury about it - but not too much of course, so balance is
important. Beyond that, it should be either a) characterful, with rough
edges that others may call faults or b) wonderfully elegant and classy.
Intensity of flavour and length is good, and I usually find them to be
highly correlated. Complexity is over-rated - a good wine can have one
good clean dominant aroma/flavour - if I can find 2 or 3 good
aromas/flavours I am very happy. More than that and compexity is
usually wasted on me. It can be of any variety, colour or level of
sweetness - I really don't understand people who say "I only drink white
wine", "Ugh, that's sweet" or "I hate Merlot".

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher