Posted to alt.food.asian
JeffH[_2_] JeffH[_2_] is offline

Default Sukhumvit Soi Five Fried Chicken

On Sep 6, 10:30*pm, " > wrote:
> Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
> the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets he

A question about the use of cilantro root/stems...

I just pulled a bunch of plants that had gone to seed from the garden.
I assume you'd want roots from the plants that go to seed since they
would be larger than those pulled from plants that had not yet gone to
seed. These roots were not very big, and very, very woody. I chewed on
one a while and it was like chewing on a stick (but tasted better).
Are the roots supposed to come from mature plants?

Second question, which came after experiencing the roots - are the
stems supposed to come from mature plants going to seed, or from the
soft stems one finds in bunches of cilantro in the store? Again -
these mature stems are very woody and have a hollow center in some
cases.

My thinking was that this was a traditional way to use up ingredients
that would be otherwise wasted (roots/stems). And since one is going
through the trouble of pounding it into a paste anyway, it's woodyness
wouldn't be an issue other than the fact that you have a lot of
pounding to do.

Finally... is there any other method of making a curry like this
rather than hand pounding? Would a food processor or vita-mix work?

It would be easy for me to just substitue a couple bunches of cilantro
from the store, but I'm interested in the idea behind the original
recipe.

-Jeff