Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] is offline

Default Lamb Bacon

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 22:07:22 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 09:52:06 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> This was my cure project for the week.
>>>
>>> Cured lamb breasts for bacon. A couple of them were cured with
>>> sage, garlic, and black pepper, the other with long pepper and
>>> allspice. Cured for 6 days, rinsed, dried, then lightly smoked over
>>> cherry wood for 2 hours at 200F.

>> Sounds wonderful! Do you have any more detailed instructions?

>Read the first part of the book, "Charcuterie". All will be
>revealed.
>
>My copy of the book was checked out from the library and I lost it.
>So now I have to buy two copies of the book.

Our copy of Stephen Pyles' "New Tastes of Texas" was checked out of
the university library in 1994. It's been renewed at the end of every
term since then. Nobody has asked us to surrender it yet, though it is
their right if they want it.

So did you use Ruhlman's pork belly cure for the lamb breasts? Last
time I made pork belly bacon, I smoked it a little bit too long and
too hot. The fat began to render in the smoker, so it's pretty
disgusting to handle. The taste is fine, though.
--

modom