Posted to rec.food.equipment
pltrgyst[_1_] pltrgyst[_1_] is offline

Default Who Makes the Best Manual Can Opener?

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 00:19:42 -0400, "pavane" >
wrote:

>The absolutely best manual can opener is the US P-38, the gadget issued
>with WW II C-rations. Here are two of numerous descriptions of it. Having
>used these, believe me, they are incomparable. Although it might be
>argued that they take a bit more work than Swingaways or whatevers,
>the sheer *simplicity* and *elegance* of the P-38 cannot be matched.

Simplicity, yes; elegance, no way. "A bit more work" means "slow as hell." And
they have trouble with deep-rimmed cans.

My last P38 from Vietnam is upstairs on my dog tag chain; I've never been
tempted to move it to the kitchen. 8

-- Larry