Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Birthday Dinner report

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
>> My birthday dinner had some hits and some misses.
>>
>> First Course: Salmon cured with mint, cucumber, and dill on sushi rice.
>> The
>> salmon had been cured too long. As a result, it was too salty and too
>> firm.
>> The tastes of the cucumber and vodka were lost, and the mint was just
>> barely
>> discernible. Lesson learned: Remove salmon from the cure much earlier,
>> and
>> use a *lot* more cucumber and mint.

> Sorry. I can see Salmon with cucumber, but with mint? What does it add?
>

>> Second Course: Tempura squash blossoms. These were nice, but a bit plain.
>> Lin was also a bit worried about the fat content. I think I could have
>> come
>> up with something more elaborate with more planning, but this ingredient
>> was
>> kind of sprung on me. Initially, I had planned to make a
>> sunchoke-and-avocado salad, but no sunchokes could be found. This was a
>> first for me; I hadn't realized that there *was* a sunchoke season,
>> because
>> every time I've looked for them in the past, my local Safeway had them on
>> the shelves. We still have squash blossoms we haven't cooked; I think
>> they'd
>> be very good in quesadillas.

> Squash blossoms were always served stuffed, then fried here. They are
> fun that way. :-)
>

>> Third Course: Smoked tomato soup with watercress and cheddar. I had
>> planned
>> to make cheddar powder using aged cheddar and tapioca maltodextrin. But
>> it
>> never powdered, for some reason, so I ended up with cheddar granules.
>> Nevertheless, this was a very good course. Lin hickory-smoked the
>> tomatoes,
>> and the soup was beautifully flavored by the smoke, the cheese, and the
>> watercress leaves which had been puréed with a tiny bit of extra-virgin
>> olive oil. The soup was made by putting the smoked tomatoes through a
>> food
>> mill, then through a conical strainer, salting to taste, then adding the
>> cheddar and the watercress purée on top.

> That sounds wonderful. :-)
> I'm fixin' to go ahead and purchase a food mill. I can't find moms
> Chinoise. :-( I think sis' absconded with it and if so, that's ok...
> I'm hoping that BB&B has one, along with some muslin bags for making
> jelly.
>

>> Fourth Course: Country-style ribs braised in foil with plums, habañeros,
>> allspice, and salt. I donned gloves to remove the seeds and membranes
>> from
>> the chiles, and then left the chiles in fairly large chunks so they could
>> be
>> avoided if they were too spicy to eat. The combination was amazing: The
> [...]

But none of it's true. Poor hard working Om owns a camera and posts pics of
some fine vittles... I would never doubt any meal Om claims to have made.
Do you really believe that gum flapping big mouth baboon ass faced
prevaricator can't scrape up like a hundred bucks for a digicam... of course
not... he's obviously unemployed (unemployable) and sponges off the schmoo's
food stamps... if not for the schmoo twilly wouldn't have TP and would have
to wipe his butt with his bare hand, like an arab. LOL