Posted to rec.food.preserving
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Newbe - Canning Tomatoes?

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> > Is Fruit Fresh an acceptable substitute for citric acid or lemon Juice?

> In my mind, no, it is not. It appears that citric acid is a component
> of the FF product. Ingredients have to be listed in descending order,
> by weight. There is no way to know how much citric acid is used in the
> blend, only that there's more sugar and ascorbic acid in it (or there
> may be equal amounts of ascorbic acid and citric acid if they're equal
> and listed alphabetically‹Ida Know. A teaspoon of Fruit Fresh will
> not contain a teaspoon of citric acid.

I found my source for Fruit-Fresh.

The book called "Well-Preserved" by Eugenia Bone, first paragraph on
page 161 on tomatoes. She uses 2 tablespoons of lemon Juice OR 1/4
teaspoons of citric acid per pint - stating she uses Fruit Fresh for
this substitution. I translated that to the Ball Book which uses the
same amount of citric acid 1/4 tsp per pint.

The back of Fruit-Fresh states to use 1 tsp per liquid cup for
preserving. Now I am back to learning more.

Is Eugenia Bone's book correct?

I will try and find a source of citric acid somewhere. I was also
wondering about the additives in lemon juice as well. Citric acid can be
made from corn or wheat. Most commonly from corn, not fruits.

Are the sources of citric acid and additives on your bottles?

Thanks again for helping me out.

Enjoy Life ... Dan L

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.