Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Newbe - Canning Tomatoes?

In article
"Dan L." > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

(snip)
> > Fruit Fresh is ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), not citric acid. It is used
> > to prevent some fruits from darkening (e.g., apples, bananas)

> Now you have me thinking... Arg...
>
> Fruit Fresh Ingredients: Dextrose, Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), Citric
> Acid, silicon Dioxide (Anti-Caking). Contains no sulfites
>
> Now I need to looked up the ingredient listing of fruit fresh.

Looks like you did that. :-)

> Then find out the if food sources of the ingredients are derived from
> wheat sources. Fruit Fresh may still be ok. I may switch to lemon juice
> and look for their additives as well.. Lemon Juice may be they way to go.

Here's something about ReaLemon brand lemon juice: INGREDIENTS:
Lemon juice from concentrate (water, concentrated lemon juice), sodium
benzoate, sodium metabisulfite and sodium sulfite (preservatives), lemon
oil.

Contains concentrate from the United States & Argentina.

That's from
<http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutrit...percent-lemon-
juice-from-concentrate-natural-strength-15481.htm>

Of interest to me is that the Sure Jell and Certo pectin recipes for
fruit spreads which require the addition of lemon juice are specifying
fresh lemon juice rather than bottled. Used to be that bottled lemon
juice was specified. Maybe the California lemon growers lobby took
exception to the oversight. :-0)

I note that the last two versions of the Ball Blue Book don't specify
bottled or fresh for soft spreads, but do specify bottled lemon juice
(or citric acid) for acidifying tomatoes. Go figure. Likewise with
SETP ‹ it specifies bottled for tomatoes, doesn't specify for fruit
spreads.

> The reason for stating Citric Acid is: the Ball Book states to add
> "Bottled Lemon Juice or Citric Acid" in almost all the recipes.
> I cannot find the page where it showed "Fruit Fresh" as a source of
> citric acid.
>
> Is Fruit Fresh an acceptable substitute for citric acid or lemon Juice?

In my mind, no, it is not. It appears that citric acid is a component
of the FF product. Ingredients have to be listed in descending order,
by weight. There is no way to know how much citric acid is used in the
blend, only that there's more sugar and ascorbic acid in it (or there
may be equal amounts of ascorbic acid and citric acid if they're equal
and listed alphabetically‹Ida Know. A teaspoon of Fruit Fresh will
not contain a teaspoon of citric acid.

> Thanks for reading the finer details of my postings

Sometimes it's a curse, other times it's a gift. "-0)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out