Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Brisket opinions

On 27-Aug-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Brick said:

> > . . .

> >> Hash? I've heard of it, ate it once, but how would I go about making
> >> it? I'm thinking it's simple?
> >> It's kind of an east coast thing? East of Rockies anyway I think.

> > Hash is as simple as meat and potatoes mixed together. Typically made
> > from leftover meat and boiled potatoes. I always put onion in mine
> > and at least salt and pepper. At anytime that I started with all
> > fresh ingredients,
> > I would make meatloaf rather then hash. But like meatloaf, there are
> > few if any rules about hash.
> >
> > Corned beef hash is especially popular. It is made from cooked corned
> > beef and boiled potatoes. The components are chopped and mixed. If
> > the batch is big enough, I run it through the meat grinder.
> > Otherwise, I just chop it with a light cleaver. Hash is a great
> > breakfast component coupled with eggs and toast.
> >
> > I'm just finishing up a batch I made from pork sparerib flap meat
> > that I trimmed from the bone side prior to smoking the ribs. I chopped
> > the meat to a hamburger like consistency, sauteed it thoroughly and
> > then mixed it with potato, onion and seasoned salt. I form the result
> > into patties and fry them, but there's no rules for that either.

> That sounds pretty tasty, I'll have to give that a try!
>
> I like to make a hash from sliced jalapeno sausage, diced potatoes,
> onions,
> and a little garlic, with maybe some roasted red pepper thrown in if I
> have
> any handy. I'll hit it with some sort of liquid like beer or stock right
> at
> the end to deglaze and get the yummy pan goodies mixed into the hash, and
> then simmer it until the moisture is mostly evaporated. It's chunkier
> that
> traditional hash but I like it that way. ;-)

Nunya, you probably WOULD like eating at my house. I'm sure I'd
enjoy eating at yours. Tip about roasted red peppers. I had some roasted
red poblanos in a jar awhile back. Much better then common red bells
for my taste buds. If I can ever recover the brand name, I'll post it. I've
been trying to keep canned roasted peppers on hand. I don't often get
a chance at fresh (red) ones in the store.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)