Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Cam in Toronto Cam in Toronto is offline

Default Wow, is everyone foiling these days?

On Aug 26, 6:11*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > My point being, they aren't pikers, beginners, or just lucky. *Crap,
> > they beat out 300 teams at the rodeo alone to get that one crown.
> > They also have rooms full of trophies from other events as well.

> > So in reading their blurb on cooking, I saw that they foiled a
> > brisket. *I haven't ever heard of anyone foiling <<a whole brisket>>.
> > In Texas? *Is this a trend? *A winning secret? *Does this reflect a
> > change in the taste buds of judges? *Do judges want the brisket to
> > have the texture of pullable pork? *And how do you get any kind of
> > lightly crunchy bark on a brisket that you foil for 2 - 3 hours to
> > braise in its own juices?

> > For 35 years, I thought the only debate on a great brisket was "fat up
> > or down" and "what temp".

> > But foil?

> > Anyone?

> > Robert

> Who are the judges? *I'm thinking this is one of the events that the public
> chooses the winner. *The winner is the one with the most sugar in the sauce.
> The crowd that east steamed ribs thinking theyare great because the mushy
> meat fall off the bone and they are covered in a sweet sauce.- Hide quoted text -

We went to the Scarborough Rib Fest a couple of weeks ago and I was
surprised at how sweet the sauce was from all the competitors. Maybe I
shouldn't say surprised as much as disappointed. I'm doing ribs this
weekend for about 20 people and am thinking maybe I should just get a
big bottle of Kraft if that's what people like. Me, I'll have mine dry
or with a chipotle salsa.
Sweet sells because people like sweet. It's the lowest common
denominator. Individual tastes vary but the majority rules.

Cam