Posted to rec.food.equipment
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default Pyrex measuring cup gets hot in microwave!

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 24 Aug 2009 06:55:43a, S Viemeister told us...
>
>> Yesterday, I bought an extra two-cup Pyrex measuring jug, as it's a
>> frequently used size, and I've been known to break them...
>>
>> Today I used it for melting butter in the microwave - and found the
>> handle to be quite warm after only a minute. _None_ of my other Pyrex
>> ware has ever done this. The colour of the glass was a bit greener than
>> my older stuff, but I have yellowish-, aqua- and blue-tinted Pyrex, none
>> of which get warm when microwaved.
>>
>> Has anyone else noticed this?
>>

> Actually, no, and I have a fairly wide range of Pyrex and Anchor Hocking
> measuring cups.

I have a wide range of various Pyrex items, too (and FireKing), and have
had no problems with them - but I've had them for quite some time. I'm
wondering about the new stuff, though. Pyrex seems to be produced by a
number of different companies now, and perhaps some of them are cutting
a few corners?