Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected][_2_] nailshooter41@aol.com[_2_] is offline

Default Wow, is everyone foiling these days?

Well, I just read this on the local website about our local champion
barbecue team.

http://www.woai.com/entertainment/st...XVzkylL4g.cspx

or

http://tinyurl.com/mk95f4

I have seen them before, and they don't give away much info, just
really vague information. "Yeah, you could use that if you wanted, go
ahead and experiment if you like, try this and see how you like it, I
don't know why that wouldn't work" kind of replies.

Always vague and deferential, and NEVER any real details. But they
are very well liked around here because the compete and organize
events and give almost all the money to charity. Apparently, just
great guys.

Here are their bonafides:

http://www.woai.com/content/blogs/li..._ufiBZECg.cspx

or

http://tinyurl.com/ma92t3

***************

My point being, they aren't pikers, beginners, or just lucky. Crap,
they beat out 300 teams at the rodeo alone to get that one crown.
They also have rooms full of trophies from other events as well.

So in reading their blurb on cooking, I saw that they foiled a
brisket. I haven't ever heard of anyone foiling <<a whole brisket>>.
In Texas? Is this a trend? A winning secret? Does this reflect a
change in the taste buds of judges? Do judges want the brisket to
have the texture of pullable pork? And how do you get any kind of
lightly crunchy bark on a brisket that you foil for 2 - 3 hours to
braise in its own juices?

For 35 years, I thought the only debate on a great brisket was "fat up
or down" and "what temp".

But foil?

Anyone?

Robert