Posted to alt.food.barbecue
RegForte RegForte is offline

Default Bresola

Nonny wrote:

> "RegForte" > wrote in message
>

>> I got yer pictures right here, buddy
>>
>> http://robosurf.net/tmp/DSCN0518-copy.jpg
>> http://robosurf.net/tmp/DSCN0524-copy.jpg

> The pictures look a lot like what I had aboard the ship, but the meat
> they served was a bit more purple in color. I guess they also trimmed
> off the rind, obviously. Looking at the second picture, what are you
> supposed to do with the horizontal strip that is seen inside the piece?
> Do you cut it out after slicing, or go ahead and serve it. The Bresaola
> we had aboard the ship was uniform in color and texture, with virtually
> no visible fat.

What you're seeing in the pics is right after it was initially "done",
quote unquote, IOW right out of the drying box. What's cool about dried
meat products is that you can eat some and continue to age the rest.
It darkens in color and the texture and flavor continue to improve over
time. When you get to the end toss it in your stock pot for some great
added flavor. Nothing goes to waste.

The seam in the middle is where I trimmed out the connective tissue
that runs through this particular cut, ball tip to be exact. You'd have
to trim that out before serving anyway so I prefer to do it during
the prep stage. Some powdered gelatin in the seam area makes it hold
together. No muss no fuss when you run it through the slicer.

As far as fat, I learned that I like marbled cuts much, much better.
The cured fat really makes the dish. Think prosciutto.