Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus[_3_] hahabogus[_3_] is offline

Default Adventures in Cooking with No Teeth . . .

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote in news:f18797e3-b05f-4f65-bf7b-
on Aug Mon 2009 am

> On Aug 23, 5:54*pm, Chemiker > wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:15:32 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >On Aug 22, 10:04*pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

>> Lynn:
>>
>> SWMBO had some dental surgery some months ago.
>> She had a similar prob..... what to eat during rehab.
>>
>> I came up with this:
>>
>> 1 lb dried split peas
>> 2 Q water
>> 1 hambone or = Ham flavoring
>> 1 cup chopped onion
>> 1/4 tsp garlic powder
>> 1/4 tsp crushed dried marjoram
>> 1/4 tsp dried rubbed thyme
>> dash black pepper
>> 1 cup chopped celery
>> 1 cup chopped carrot
>> 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
>>
>> This was satisfactory, and loaded with protein,
>> which, IMHO, helped in rehab. SHe told her dentist
>> about it, and he asked for a copy. He now gives it
>> to all his surgery patients to prevent nutritional
>> problems while healing.
>>
>> It also tastes good.
>>
>> Best of luck....
>>
>> Eat your peas.
>>
>> Alex, who purees this with a wand blender.

> Thanks! I made bean soup two weeks ago. There's another ham hock in
> the freezer and split peas in the cupboard!
> Lynn in Fargo
> Got a wand blender!

This too is good.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Al's Bean And Sausage Soup

Soups/Chowders/Stews

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 pound kielbasa sausage, diced
4 large garlic cloves, chopped (7)
1 bulb fennel; chopped
1 onion; chopped
2 carrots; chopped
10 large Button mushrooms; chopped
1 celery heart with leaves
1 small bag spinach leaves or 1/2 small cabbage
3 900 ml box chicken broth
4 cups water; plus
2 tbsp redibase turkey stock
2 15 oz cans can navy beans
1 15 oz can can diced tomatoes with herbs
1 500ml ctner sour cream
1 tbsp crushed red peppers; heaping
1 bunch fresh dill; mjnced

Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and
garlic and sauté until sausage is lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add in
crushed peppers,fennel,onion, carrot, mushrooms and celery,;cook about 5
minutes more. Add broth, water, turkey stock navy beans with their juices
and spinach. Simmer until flavors blend and soup thickens slightly, about
20 minutes. Stir in the sour cream and dill simmer 5 more minutes. Season
to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls.

10-3 cup servings approx

Replacing the spinach with cabbage works well.

could use more sour cream

0

Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Alan