Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Vegetarian (almost) chili

I made this for supper tonight. (I'll be eating it for a while cuz it
made a lot.) Sent the following recipe to DD, who is dabbling with
vegetarian cooking and I think some of her roommates are Vegans:

It's not quite vegetarian because I used a little bit of bacon grease to
sauté the onions (to use it up), and a can of beef broth and a beef
bouillon cube. Vegetable oil and vegetable bouillon would have worked
almost as well and then it would have been vegan. It's actually good!

I simmered about 6 or 7 dried guajillo peppers and 6 or 7 dried "jap"
peppers in water until soft, then blenderized them with their water, and
strained out the seeds and skins. Add the resulting chile slurry to a
sautéed chopped onion in a small stockpot, plus a can of Ranch Style or
chili beans, a can of diced tomatoes, and some cumin and garlic and
oregano. Begin cooking over low heat.

Meanwhile, soak a big handful of texturized soy protein in a can of beef
broth, then add it (broth and all) to the pot. Add a handful of frozen
corn, mostly for color, a small beef bouillon cube, and a dash of soy
sauce. Simmer for about an hour, until the yucky-looking soy protein
absorbs enough juice that it starts to look like real meat and it
eventually sinks. Add a little water to replace what boiled away, and a
tablespoon of cornmeal or dried masa. Simmer another 10 minutes,
stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick and burn.

Notes: All the canned ingredients were about 15 ounces each. This was
unflavored soy protein that I bought in a big cellophane bag at the
Mexican grocery store, it looks like crumbled sourdough bread. A dried
ancho pepper would have helped the flavor and color a little, but it
really didn't need any help. I added salt before the hour-long simmer
but that was a mistake because it almost got too salty as it cooked
down. I used 2 tbsp of rolled oats instead of the of masa because my
bag of masa was moving (don't ask) :-P

--
Bob