Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
EmmyBlue EmmyBlue is offline

Default I need a little help

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> EmmyBlue said:
>> Decades ago in Long Beach, CA, a Mex./Amer. landlady used to invite
>> me to her family dinners. The food, my god, the food was to die for.
>> Her chile rellenos were so good that I begged her to teach me how to
>> make them, and she did.
>>
>> She made a pinto beans and greens dish with bacon and onion that was
>> also a particular favorite of mine...cooked in a big cast iron
>> skillet. What she called it sounded like "ka-lee-tees." I have
>> searched the Internet just using the ingredients, but to no avail.
>>
>> Does anyone here know what I'm looking for? If not, is there another
>> food newsgroup that would know?
>>
>> I thank you for any help.
>> ev

> This sounds wonderful and I would also like to know the recipe. But this
> NG
> is pretty dead. You should try posting in rec.food.cooking if you don't
> mind
> navigating around a lot of trash posts, or alt.food.recipes, or
> rec.food.recipes.
>
> But if you could, would you kindly post that rellenos recipe you
> mentioned?
>
> MartyB in KC

~~~~~~~~~
Well, it's not really a recipe...

Blackening and peeling the Anaheim peppers is the most time consuming part.
You put them directly in the flame of the burner...after they're black and
blistered, put them in a paper sack or a plastic bag for about 20 min, then
they peel pretty easily.

Then you slit the pepper down the side about half way, cut through the seed
pod just under the inside of the stem and pull it out carefully. Stuff the
peppers with Monterey Jack cheese and roll them in flour.

People are scared of the batter...but you just separate your eggs and beat
the whites until stiff....beat the yolks with salt and a spoon of flour and
*carefully* fold into the beaten whites. The key is to not deflate the
whites too much. Dip peppers in batter and fry in 2" oil in a cast iron
skillet. I like mine with sour cream and a fresh pico de gallo (chopped
tomatoes, fresh chiles, onions, cumin, salt, and lime juice)...or bottled
salsa if I'm lazy.

You can also make baked chile rellenos -- Lay the stuffed peppers in a
greased casserole and pour the batter over. Sprinkle w grated cheese and
bake about until batter is done and lightly browned on top.

Now let's talk about Tamale Pie....made with masa harina...I'm collecting
recipes in my quest for the perfect one.

EmmyV in OK
--
http://soonerblue.bloghi.com/