Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlotte L. Blackmer Charlotte L. Blackmer is offline

Default Frites (no longer OT, but it's not stopping anyone else)

In article >,
Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>Charlotte replied:
>
>>> What is Jeffrey Steingarten's method for fries?

>> Two-stage frying. Fry at a lower temperature, drain, heat up the oil to a
>> higher temp (425 IIRC) and put those taters back in to brown up.
>>
>> That way you get frites that are both crispy and cooked through.

>Hm...the two-stage frying is pretty well-known nowadays; I'd never seen
>Jeffrey Steingarten's name attached to it. Come to think of it, I've seen
>that method used on "Iron Chef America" when Steingarten was a judge, and
>nobody mentioned his writing about it. Is it in _The Man Who Ate
>Everything_, or somewhere else?

There or the other book. (The Man Who Ate Everything)

>Since you used the term "frites," do you prefer them long and skinny? I know
>they can be more crispy that way, and I like those sometimes, but I also
>like steak fries and the thick stubby fried potatoes which make up the
>"chips" in "fish & chips." I mainly like the long skinny frites in the
>traditional combinations of moules frites or steak frites, though I think
>I'd like to visit this place sometime: www.pommesfrites.ws/menu.htm[1]

I went to a place in the East Village once that was a Belgian-inspired
frites bar. The saucing available was all-American-melting-pot though. I
found that I think satay is really awesome on fries.

Normally I like my fries steaky but if they're well made, it's all good.
My use of the term frites was just mixing up the language a little bit.

Charlotte