Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Muncie Bob Muncie is offline

Default OT, but it's not stopping anyone else

Steve Pope wrote:
> Bob wrote,
>
>> Charlote wrote,

>>> Two-stage frying. Fry at a lower temperature, drain, heat up the oil to a
>>> higher temp (425 IIRC) and put those taters back in to brown up.

>>> That way you get frites that are both crispy and cooked through.

>>> Charlote

>> I thought that was the standard Belgian way

> Double frying is very standard. Double frying with ice
> immersion between fryings is less standard. Ice immersion
> before the first frying is not uncommon.
>
> In Montreal I had gnochhi poutine in which the gnoccho were
> fried, iced, refried. The ended up like delicate potato puffs.
> They were delicious in the veal volute (sp?) and with the traditional
> squeaky cheese. Best damn think you can imagine. You know,
> life is so screwed up in many ways, but you travel to some
> other city where people do things differently and you find
> out a litte about it, and enjoy it, and your problems come
> back into better perspective. This is why regional food is
> important. Food heals.
>
> Steve

Steve -

Two things.

I haven't tried the ice immersion method, but will with the next time I
fry (but that's rare as I usually make oven fries). Thanks for the idea.

I like the though that food "heals". That adds value to the craving of
eating ice cream or chocolate when in a sad or upset mood.

Bob